Who doesn’t love a good soft marshmallow? Especially when they are homemade marshmallows…. Here’s a recipe your neighbors and friends are sure to enjoy!
Soft Homemade Marshmallows: Brought to you by Ruth Kendrick
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- ½ cup cold water
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1 cup light corn syrup, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
1. In a small bowl, combine gelatin and cold water. Stir with a spoon until very thick. Allow to stand 5 minutes.
2. In a 2-quart saucepan, combine hot water, ½ cup corn syrup, and sugar. Place over high heat and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Clip on candy thermometer and cook to 230* or soft-ball state.
3. Remove from heat and stir in remaining corn syrup. Pour into medium size bowl.
4. Using electric mixer on high speed, beat hot syrup, adding gelatin 1 tablespoon at a time.
5. Continue beating until all gelatin is incorporated, candy is thick, and has cooled to a lukewarm temp, this usually takes about 10 minutes. Stir in vanilla.
6. Pour the mixture onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Allow to stand at least 3 hours, or overnight. Do not refrigerate.
7. Cut into strips and dip in chocolate or other coating.