How to Melt Peter’s Caramel in the Oven:
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees F.
- Place the entire 5 lb. loaf into a french oven or a large stock pot.
- Once the oven has heated, place the french oven or stock pot loaded with the caramel inside for 60-90 minutes.
- Check the caramel at 45 minutes, (because some ovens are hotter than others), and then again at 60.
- When the caramel has completely melted, remove the french oven or the stock pot from the oven.
- Place the melted caramel in the pot onto the stovetop. You can drip right out of the pot!
Why We Love This Method:
- 1. Because it takes 60-90 minutes to melt, you can place the caramel in the oven and walk away! Since you don’t have to sit and stir the caramel on the stovetop, you have time to do other things: prep your apples for dipping, read a book, take a nap, etc…
- 2. The caramel doesn’t burn. Unless of course, you leave it in the oven too long. The stovetop method needs constant attention so that the caramel won’t burn. The oven doesn’t.
- 3. Not as messy! As you all know, caramel is sticky. And sticky means messy. But since you place the entire loaf into a pot and let it melt, the cleanup is a lot easier. If you don’t need all of the caramel, pour what is left into an air-tight container. It keeps forever!
It’s that simple! Have you ever melted Peter’s Caramel this way? What’s your favorite method?