Is Guittard Chocolate peanut free? We get this question a lot, so today I’m going to let Guittard answer:
All of this information can be found on Guittard’s website:
Question: “Are your chocolates made in a peanut-free environment?”
Answer: “Yes, Guittard Chocolate Company is peanut-free.”
To get further information, Guittard also offers this free download:
The subject of allergens is a serious concern in the food industry and we would like you to know how allergens are being addressed at Guittard Chocolate Company.
- All of our cocoa powders, LIQ CO and Sweet Ground Chocolates are processed on separate equipment and do not contain any of the 8 major allergens.
- All of our chocolate, liquor, and Grand Cacao (non-dairy containing dark chocolate as well as milk chocolate) are produced on common manufacturing equipment. Since chocolate from a previous milk chocolate run may remain in the system (walls of tanks, inside piping, etc), we cannot guarantee that the dark chocolate will be free of milk or milk proteins. For this reason, any dark chocolate that does not include a dairy ingredient in its formulation is labeled as follows after the ingredient statement: “Processed on equipment previously used to process milk chocolate” or “Artisan-crafted in traditional grinding mills that also make milk chocolate.”
- All of our chocolate and compound coatings are formulated with a small amount of soya lecithin (less than 0.5%). Since there is a trace level of soya protein present in the lecithin, all of these products are labeled with “soya lecithin” to include the name and source of the ingredient.
- Almonds are present in our facility but they are isolated and restricted to production on a separate depositing line that does not run any other Guittard products. Rework from this line does not re-enter the Guittard chocolate manufacturing system.
- Guittard is a peanut and gluten-free facility.
- Milk chocolate ornaments and eggs are molded and foiled in a facility that uses peanuts, tree nuts (almonds, hazelnuts, cashews and pecans) and wheat.
- We maintain a complete HACCP programs including personnel training as it relates to allergens in our facility. We hope that this information is sufficient for your needs. Should you have further questions, please contact us.
Now that you know where Guittard stands, you must know how Gygi repackages Guittard products:
- All chocolate discs (A’Peels & wafers) are repackaged in our facility on the same equipment used to package nuts.
- We do not repackage 10 lb. bars of chocolate. These remain peanut-free.
- You can purchase chocolate discs in case quantities and request that they have not been repackaged. This way we can ensure that the Guittard chocolate remains peanut-free.
So please understand, that if we have repackaged a Guittard product, then it has been done on equipment which also bags peanuts.