Eating a slice of Sour Cream and Raisin Pie is like getting transported back in time. It’s a little bite of the past and one of those recipes that it’s time to revive.
No matter what fat you choose to you use in your crust, some fundamental rules still apply. Don’t overwork the dough, let it rest, and add the ice water gradually to make sure your pie crust is nice and flaky.
Heirloom Sour Cream and Raisin Pie
- 5 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch, sifted
- 2 cups milk
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 Pre-baked Pie Crust
- Crack 4 eggs into a medium size bowl and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, mix together the cornstarch and 2/3 cup of milk. Turn on the heat to medium-high and add the remaining milk, sugar, salt, and raisins. Stir consistently until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Start whisking the eggs. Scoop 1/2 cup of the mixture out of the saucepan and use it to temper the eggs by slowly pouring the mixture in. Add the egg mixture into the pan and cook until it reaches a thick, custard-like consistency, whisking constantly. The end result should be a bit thicker than you might be accustomed to as the addition of the sour cream in the next step will thin the filling.
- Remove from heat and let cool until lukewarm or room temp and whisk in both vanilla and sour cream. Let stand until cool then add it to the pre-baked pie crust. Place in the refrigerator until cooled through, up to 4 hours or preferably overnight, and serve!
Laura KlimaDecember 25, 2018 at 2:34 pm
My mom absolutely loved the sour cream raisin pie either for her birthday in November or at Christmas time. It’s an old fashioned treat we’ve always had. Its best to use good vanilla, i use organic. I cant get it anywhere around here Bakers Square, used to have that flavor but now you can only get them in Michigan (I’m in WI) and they won’t deliver ?
Araceli JohnsonJanuary 5, 2022 at 3:48 pm
I MADE THIS PIE AND I LOVE IT, I ADD SOME CINNAMON, AND ONLY USE THE EGGS YOLKS, AND 1 CUP OF SOUR CREAM, INSTEAD OF 3/4, BECAUSE I LIKE SOURCREAM A LOT, OTHER THAN, THAT I REALLY LOVE IT, THANK YOU FOR THIS GREAT RECIPE.