These Asian pickled carrot have the perfect flair and crisp to accompany any salad, sandwich or even steak. So flavorful and fresh, you’ll enjoy these with many meals.
- 1 pound carrots, bias cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 whole allspice
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 whole cloves
- 4 whole black peppercorn
- Cook carrots in a covered large saucepan with salt in small amount of water. Cook for about 3-4 minutes or until slightly tender, but still crisp. Drain the water off.
- In three half-pint sized jars, layer the carrots, ginger, and one allspice in each jar.
- Make the brine in a small saucepan by adding water, rice vinegar, brown sugar, cloves and peppercorns. Cook until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour brine over carrots, cover with lids and allow to cool to room temperature. Refrigerate in brine for 48 hours. Keeps in the fridge for 2 months.